As a woman, I tend to bring everything and anything on a holiday, especially so for products for which I have a strong personal preference. I was prone to over-packing and ending up with many unused items on every trip, because I believed everything to be important. Regardless of the destination, the following is a foolproof list!For the plane
- Assuming we are flying on a full-fledged carrier who will feed you, provide entertainment and keep you warm and cozy with a pillow, socks and a blanket, these are what you need on top of that.
- Lip Balm and hand moisturizer. I cannot stress how important these are! I have been on one too many flights where my lips were so chapped that they threatened to bleed every time they stretched and my hands were so dry that the skin around my nails tore and bled.
- Noise-cancelling headphones. I’m no audiophile and could do with what the plane provides. However, with the noise onboard the plane and the journey ahead, propernoise-cancelling is the way to go. You want to be able to enjoy your show/music as much as you can with no interruptions or distractions because happy flyer = happy traveler = happy holiday!
- Hand sanitizer. Some people say this is vital to have so I’m including it here. I prefer to walk to the toilet and wash my hands with soap. But also note that I also am not a fan of hand sanitizers on land so this is really your choice.
- Clothing aside - since it’s pretty much dependent on your destination and itinerary, these are the other must-haves for ladies.
- Sanitary pads/tampons. Yep. Don’t you hate it when your period strikes unexpectedly while overseas? That, and you can’t find your brand? ‘nuff said.
- First ask yourself – what do you use every day and can’t do without? Then pack them into appropriately-sized bottles and you’re good to go! If we’re talking about major skincare brands, just hop over to your preferred counter and request for sample sachets for a short trip. I do this with a brand I like and they are always more than happy to provide.
- Similar to the toiletries – what do you use daily? Bring those and leave the rest at home! I once made the mistake of bringing an eyeshadow palette when I never use it except for special occasions. It was such a troublesome item.
So that’s it! This list could work for both ladies and gents with the absence of makeup and pads/tampons so do share it with your friends and family if you found it helpful.
What I’ve really learnt from packing too much over the years was that I didn’t actually need much. When it comes down to it, you don’t want to bring much so you can buy much. Or if you’re not there to buy much, you don’t want to bring much so you don’t have to lug much. I used to bring items I thought would be nice to have or to use but in reality? Ain’t nobody got time for that!